Photography Workshop Retreat does the Harlem Shake

Apr 12, 2013

Leah Remillét

Getting out of your comfort zone is hard…. That’s exactly why we say, “out of comfort” – as in UN-comfortable.  So it makes sense why so many stay where it feels safe… But this is such a dangerous trap!  Growth, at it’s best… Happens when we get uncomfortable.  The most amazing experiences of my life – all happened when I was the most terrified.

So what about you?  What have you been wanting to do for a long time but just keep “holding off” on?

One of our crazy ‘get out of your comfort zone’ exercises for The Thriving Photographer’s Mastermind Retreat – FL. was in creating this Harlem Shake video.  The Mr. thought of it months ago, but just wasn’t sure if we would have time.  At the very end of the retreat we found that time!

Everyone jumped in, played their part and we got to laugh till we cried in the process!  Chelsea our fearless intro dancer made a comment that stuck with me, she said… “You know the comfort zone? I live perpetually out of that zone”.  And that got me thinking about the success these women have experienced…

The 19 women who came to spend the weekend with me have made a-m-a-z-i-n-g things happen!   It’s not that they’re not afraid of getting uncomfortable… In fact many of these women shared the truth about how scared they really were as they went for it…  But  they decided that the risk was worth it!

These women have challenged themselves to step up their game in every way… They started by investing in The Thriving Photographer™ – then they had to actually implement what they learned; new pricing, new sales techniques, new marketing strategies!  With disbelief and shock they saw their value go from $200 a session to thousands per session.  And last week they each flew from all parts of the country to a spend 4 days in a house full of women they only know virtually…  To get silly and crazy and vulnerable… And to Harlem Shake.  They realized that THEY are worth the risk!

So here is my CHALLENGE FOR YOU… Leave a comment and share where you’d really like to grow and why it’s uncomfortable for you and then go take the first step in making that growth you crave, become your reality.  YOU ARE WORTH THE RISK!

FILED IN:

SHARE ON:

1. Amanda

April 12th, 2013 at 9:07 am

I’d love to grow in the amount of clients I book. My pricing is nowhere near high enough (I barely made a profit last year) but if I raise them any higher I won’t book anyone. I book a handful of people, otherwise everyone says I’m too expensive. I live in a small town with a high unemployment rate so my target clients are few and far between.

2. Melissa Wilson

April 12th, 2013 at 9:31 am

Oh my gosh this is so amazing!!! I’m so happy we did this :):):):)

3. Leah Remillet

April 12th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Me too… It was so fun!!

4. Candace

April 12th, 2013 at 9:58 am

This is awesome. I can’t wait until a year from now to see all the difference thrive has made for me!

5. Leah Remillet

April 12th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

You seriously can’t even imagine all that is possible Candace but I can’t wait till you do!! 😀

6. Tammy Waida

April 12th, 2013 at 10:05 am

My uncomfortable place is in marketing myself. I’ve never been the girl who likes to brag about myself, so I feel uncomfortable putting myself out there. I’ve been wanting to approach a boutique to partner with, but fear has been holding me back! I’m going to do it though!
    “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”
    -John F. Kennedy

7. Chantal Bergeron

April 12th, 2013 at 11:21 am

Where you’d really like to grow: Selling stuff…

Why it’s uncomfortable for you: The usual reasons–primarily the association of selling with sleaziness, the distaste for “pushing”, and a difficulty finding unique products that aren’t publicly available.

To move beyond it today I will: Buy an album sample…because people won’t see the difference in quality unless I show them and my photos are best suited for an album above all else.

Future steps to move beyond it: Write out the benefits of ordering any products I carry from me as opposed to from somewhere else…

8. Kathryn

April 12th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I would love love to start my own small photography business specializing in newborns. I am terrified of failure. I moved to a neighborhood where an “award winning” photographer is. I know that my work isn’t at her level yet, but I want to produce the best images I can and I am so afraid of failing. 🙁

9. Denise

April 12th, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Chelsea has some mooooves! Dah-ayum girl! Lololol
    Kari creeps me out. Just Say n. lol 😉
    Too funny ladies! Count me in next year!

10. Jen Tarbox

April 13th, 2013 at 7:43 am

I am a pretty “out there” person but my uncomfortable zone is definitely making my photography a real business. I finally got to leave my full time job because of my husbands job but I continue to look at my photography as a “part time gig” and I think it is for fear of failure and letting those who trust in me down, including myself. I am uncomfortable saying that I am a full time professional photographer and that it is my living.