The “L Shape” Desk Hack from Ikea

Nov 28, 2015

Leah Remillét

Full Ofiice_L Shpe Desk

I can’t believe all of the comments and amazing feedback that I received over my office! In fact, it’s been over a year since I revealed my office makeover, and I still get weekly emails and comments asking about how I created my L-shape desk configuration. So today I’m sharing some additional behind the scenes pics of my desk + you’ll find the full shopping list below!

L Shape Desk_White Desk with Gold

The “L” Shape Desk Configuration Shopping List
Linnmon Table Top – High Gloss White (59×29 1/2″) *this is the larger part that my computer is on.
Alex Drawer Unit in White (this is in place of the last 2 legs)
*If you wanted more drawer space, you could do 2 Alex units and only 4 legs. Because of my large pink chair, that would have been to crowded for me. Also… I have the Lack side table on the side of my desk next to me for my printer.
L Shape Desk Ikea Hack
FILED IN:

SHARE ON:

1. Melinda

December 8th, 2015 at 8:58 am

I am getting ready to buy new office furniture and I love your decor!! I really need that drawer unit- that is perfect for all of my office supplies!

2. Leah Remillet

December 10th, 2015 at 1:55 pm

So happy you like it! Good luck with your new space!!

3. Danielle

December 13th, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I absolutely love your office. It is gorgeously girly. Where did you find the black and white striped rug if you don’t mind my asking?

4. Leah Remillet

December 16th, 2015 at 11:15 am

Thank you SO much!! It’s from Crate and Barrel and there is a whole list at the bottom of the original post in case you’re curious about any other items! 🙂

5. Tina

December 14th, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Great job!! i’m so glad i could this before I spent $1200 on an L shaped desk. Do you absolutely need that leg thats to the left of your chair or Do you think maybe the tabletops could be connected underneath in that area with a bracket to allow a chair to roll freely underneath?

6. Leah Remillet

December 16th, 2015 at 11:14 am

I’m thinking you could probably bracket it but you would want to do it in two places. And the edge and in the middle for more support.

7. kat

February 22nd, 2016 at 8:26 am

did you end up trying it this way? i’m curious, as i would love to not have that leg there as well. let me know! thanks!

8. Leah Remillet

February 29th, 2016 at 11:40 am

Nope. I’ve been fine with it as it so did not.

9. Melissa

December 27th, 2015 at 8:08 am

In love with your office!!!! Where did you get the floating shelves that you have above of your computer?

Thanks!!!!

10. Leah Remillet

December 30th, 2015 at 10:50 am

Ikea! 🙂

11. Ashley

March 21st, 2016 at 7:47 am

Link? I can’t find! 😛

12. Leah Remillet

March 24th, 2016 at 10:20 am

What link are you looking for? I can try to figure out where it went. 🙂

13. Samantha

April 16th, 2016 at 5:06 pm

I too am wondering if there is a link specifically for the shelf above your computer. Did you piece it together or did it come as all one unit? 🙂 love the setup, by the way!

14. Leah Remillet

April 19th, 2016 at 3:42 pm

It came all one unit in white, but it wasn’t a very bright white so I spray painted one coat of white to brighten it up even more. Sorry to say that I can’t find it on Ikea’s website, just did another search to see if I could direct you right to it.

15. Nettie

January 4th, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Leah, I love your new office and the “pop of color chair” is fabulous! Great style technique used in putting the paper on the back wall of the shelf to match the floor and bring them together. Everything is visually appealing. Great job!

16. Leah Remillet

January 5th, 2016 at 9:37 am

Thank you so much Nettie!! 😀

17. Erin McMahon

January 5th, 2016 at 11:40 am

Your office is amazing! I scrolled through the resources, but didn’t see where you got the shelving above your computer? I’m guessing the black and white chevron is a fabric? Thanks for your time!
    🙂

18. Leah Remillet

January 7th, 2016 at 10:10 am

I got the shelving from Ikea!! I did give them a light spray paint of white to brighten the “Ikea White” so it matched the bright desk better. And the black and white stripe liner is actually wrapping paper !! that I found on Amazon I believe! I think this was it: http://amzn.to/1RvCyWo

19. Aurora

January 6th, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Love the office! It’s exactly what i was looking for! How did you attach the two table tops together?

20. Leah Remillet

January 7th, 2016 at 10:09 am

With a bracket underneath. And mine have all the legs as well. I like to be able to move one of my tables away from the other for when I’m using my table top to style photography. 🙂

21. Danielle

December 29th, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Where did you purchase the bracket from? I purchased the table tops today from IKEA and with them bought some connecting hardware but it turns out it isn’t meant to connect two table tops!!

22. Julie

January 6th, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Hi Leah! I’m at the beginning stages of creating a Glam Cave (office and crafting room) and I’m using your layout as my inspiration… You’re brilliant!

2 questions… What are the dimensions of your room? And second, I laid the table measurements out in my room, but want to know how much space you left from the end of the computer table to the window wall. Want to make sure I’ll have enough space to move a chair around.

Thank you VERY much!!!???

23. Leah Remillet

January 13th, 2016 at 1:34 pm

You can get all the details for the L-Shape desk here: http://go4prophotos.com/the-l-shape-desk-hack-from-ikea/
    There is about 16″ from my desk to windowsill… I only left enough for the printer paper to be able to come out on the side of my desk (although part of the printer and table it’s on are under my desk). Hope that helps!

24. Rose

January 15th, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Simply gorgeous!!

25. Leah Remillet

January 21st, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Thank you!

26. Stephanie

January 16th, 2016 at 7:29 pm

How did you bracket the 2 table tops together? It’s not totally clear and I’m definitely thinking about doing this. Thanks!

27. Leah Remillet

January 21st, 2016 at 6:21 pm

The bracket is just under the table at the seam. But for miser up (since I’m using all legs) it’s totally unnecessary. 🙂

28. Michelle

January 27th, 2016 at 7:32 pm

For the life of me I can’t seam to see where the 6th leg is! I see the two on the far right and it looks like only three in the middle and then the drawers on the left ?

29. Leah Remillet

February 10th, 2016 at 10:37 am

They are all there. We just built each table separately and then budded them up to each other to make the ‘L’. 🙂

30. Amanda

January 28th, 2016 at 9:58 pm

This is perfect! I love it so much. I have been looking for an idea just like this for my little home office!!

31. Leah Remillet

February 10th, 2016 at 10:36 am

Hurray! So glad you found me Amanda!

32. Ebony

January 30th, 2016 at 7:16 am

Thank you so much for sharing with us all!! you have an amazing office. I found you via pinterest. My husband and I just built a new home and I have so many room to decorate. I work from home so my office is top priority. I’m going with a pink and gold theme. I like the the spray paint you used in your office. Do you mind sharing the brand and color with me? So many out there and all the colors are so different. Thanks for sharing with me in advance!! 🙂

Ebony

33. Leah Remillet

February 10th, 2016 at 10:35 am

Hi Ebony, I can’t remember the gold spray paint off the top of my head anymore but I believe I did link to it in a different comment once. Hopefully it’s up there somewhere. 😉 It was just all purpose gold spray paint I found at Sherwin Williams – there really were not any other choices. It was gold, silver or bronze if I remember correctly. Hope I helped solve the mystery a little.

34. Christine

January 31st, 2016 at 6:38 am

Hi, you mentioned you used all 6 legs. I see only 5, just wondering the placement of each leg.

Thanks!

35. Leah Remillet

February 10th, 2016 at 10:32 am

The legs are placed just like a normal table. One on each side. Under the tabletop with the drawer unit, it only needs legs on the other side.

36. Vicki Wagstaff

January 31st, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Love your office!!! We just left ikea with with items to build the l-shaped desk!! So eccited!! Where did you get the shelving unit?
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful office!! ?

37. Leah Remillet

February 10th, 2016 at 10:30 am

I was going to ask which shelving unit, but they are all from Ikea. LOL 🙂

38. Jess

February 1st, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Super cute!! What size in your office? I am working with an 11×10 and trying to visualize if this could work in my space 🙂 Thanks!!
    -Jess

39. Leah Remillet

May 25th, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Mine is about the same as yours! I bet it will work great! Good luck!

40. Rachael

February 6th, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I went to order all of these things but it looks like Ikea charges an insane amount for shipping.It would cost more then double the price of the furniture to ship it. I am super sad because I love your desk set up and I just can’t find anything like this anywhere else.

41. Leah Remillet

February 10th, 2016 at 10:28 am

I’m sorry Rachael! I know Ikea isn’t everywhere. We have one not to far from us luckily.

42. Judy Judovits

February 13th, 2016 at 8:11 pm

How long this it take you to put all the pieces together and what was the difficulty of this project. By the way great job.

Judy

43. Leah Remillet

February 16th, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Well Ikea is known for taking longer then you think it will but putting together the desk was actually very fast and easy. 30 minutes or less.

44. Krista Holtegaard

February 18th, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I love your office. Is the chair appropriate for office work? Like is it comfortable to type and do computer work from the awesome chair? I am just wondering.. It is $40 to ship and I would hate for it not to work out once I get it here..

45. Leah Remillet

February 29th, 2016 at 11:39 am

I have a tendency to like to curl-up in my chair. My legs are always criss-cross apple sauce so for me it totally works. I do typically sit on a pillow to make me high enough but I’ve been using it for a year as my desk chair now and totally happy with it.

46. Angie

February 23rd, 2016 at 4:32 am

I had to join in and thank you for sharing your ingenious desk solution! I’ve been looking for an attractive L-shaped desk that will fit nicely into a small basement apartment space and this fits the bill perfectly. I will be opting for the brown-black color combination offered at IKEA (love that store!) instead of the white as it will better match my other furniture pieces, but in the end, I think it will still turn out nicely. I’m so very excited to begin this project; you’ve truly helped out a budding entrepreneur with a limited office decor budget! Thanks so much! 🙂

47. Leah Remillet

February 29th, 2016 at 11:41 am

You’re so welcome Angie! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me such a wonderful comment. Good luck with your space… and your budding biz!

48. Leanne

March 1st, 2016 at 6:35 am

Thank you!!! I just added this beauty to my space. I recently became my own boss and part of the dream was to work at a pretty, shiny white desk. I was JUST about to buy an L shaped desk on wayfair when I decided to hit up Pinterest and stumbled upon your post. I am SO happy I did – I love the shiny top. I never would have thought IKEA would have a shiny top like this! Love love love. I added the sawhorse looking leg in the back corner of mine to give myself one more little shelf. Might put the printer there. 🙂 Thank you again! I already feel more productive and amazing than I did before I invested in this baby. Now to add some more pink and gold and motivational quotes to my workspace to really bring it all together!!

49. Leah Remillet

March 1st, 2016 at 1:05 pm

So excited for you Leanne! Sounds like you’re right on your way to living the life you imagine… And now with a shiny white desktop to boot. 🙂

50. 12 Chic Ways - Mary Angela's Blog

March 31st, 2016 at 9:05 pm

[…] Image Source […]

51. 12 Chic Ways To Pep Up Your Home Office - Mary Angela's Blog

March 31st, 2016 at 9:06 pm

[…] Image Source […]

52. Meshi

April 4th, 2016 at 6:52 am

HI there! love this post. I just put the desk set together as shown. However, how do you keep the table top from moving since its not attached the the Alex drawer set?Also to attache to the next table? Is there a piece I should get from ikea to secure?

Thanks in advance!

53. Leah Remillet

April 6th, 2016 at 10:09 am

Hi Meshi! We got a flat bracket from a home improvement store to secure the two table tops together and with that secured the drawer unit doesn’t really move. I do have mine on a rug though. If yours is on hard floors it may slide more. I hope I helped.

54. Inspiring Feminine Home Office Decor Ideas For Your Dream Job - feelitcool.com

April 8th, 2016 at 5:42 am

[…] Image via: go4prophotos.com […]

55. Melinda

May 17th, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Hi! I know everyone is asking for shelf above your desk. Do you happen to know the name? I can’t seem to find at ikea, thank u for sharing this wonderful idea!

56. Leah Remillet

May 18th, 2016 at 9:18 am

Hey Melinda, I looked all over their website to try to find it too and I can’t find anything that indicated what it is?? I’m so sorry! I’m wondering if it was discontinued?

57. Beautiful Office Spaces – Woodums

May 18th, 2016 at 3:15 pm

[…] via Go4prophotos […]

58. 10 Feminine & Chic Office Spaces to Swoon Over | Megan Fenno

June 3rd, 2016 at 8:10 am

[…] Little pictures hanging above my head might be too much for me, but I like the concept of having inspiring images in your office or creative space. [source] […]

59. Jen Driscoll

June 25th, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Hey I just bought this! How do you make sure the top doesn’t slide on top of the alex drawer? I am just assuming you just rested the table top on top of the alex drawer?

60. Kat Ferraro

June 30th, 2016 at 11:32 am

Exactly Jen. It just rests right on the Alex drawer unit and then we connected a bracket underneath to keep it secures so it didn’t move around. Just make sure your screws are not to long – wouldn’t want them to pop through the top.

61. Samantha

June 26th, 2016 at 3:53 pm

For everyone like me who’s wondering what the shelf above the desk is, I believe it’s the Hemnes wall/bridging shelf 58 5/8 x 14 5/8 x 13 3/8 and its $99. Not sure if it’s online but I’m in the store and it seems to look very similar 🙂

62. Kat Ferraro

June 30th, 2016 at 11:31 am

Thank you so so much Samantha for sharing! I have looked online over and over with no luck! Makes sense that it’s maybe just available in stores! xo

63. Samantha

July 3rd, 2016 at 3:31 pm

The only difference is this one has 3 sections and yours is just two. But I bought it anyway and couldn’t be happier with this entire set up! Thanks again for the inspiration 🙂

64. Karen

July 22nd, 2016 at 10:24 am

Hi! I have been wanting to update my office for awhile. I have finally replicated your desk and I absolutely love it. I am wanting to purchase the chair from World Market like yours, I was wondering if you are still happy with the chair and has it held up good? I was getting ready to order and I had read some reviews regarding the legs bending/not sturdy.
    Thanks! And your office is beautiful, Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

65. Leah Remillet

August 17th, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Hi Karen, I do still love my chair. I did have a problem with one of the legs but I called up World Market, they were great and replaced the whole chair. That was pretty early into getting it, maybe 2 or 3 months. Since then I have had to tighten the legs a couple times but I am in and out of that chair scooting it all over ALL THE TIME! So I would say it has held up well and yes, I’m still totally happy with it.

66. Keisten

August 12th, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Can you tag some of your desk accessories, such as the lamp and the artwork? LOVE!

67. Keisten

August 12th, 2016 at 1:35 pm

And my name is Kristen. Typo 🙂

68. Leah Remillet

August 17th, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Hi Kristin, If you go to my full office reveal post, everything has been linked to there. 🙂

69. Robyn’s Creative Nesting Corner

August 13th, 2016 at 11:13 am

[…] Layout inspired by the very talented Leah Remillet. Check out her blog and beautiful office space here. Her office is amazing and I definitely wanted her particular desk layout for my corner. So thank […]

70. 23+ Ingenious Cubicle Decor Ideas to Transform Your Workspace - Homesthetics - Inspiring ideas for your home.

October 11th, 2016 at 9:55 am

[…] via gopro […]

71. Christina Torres

October 18th, 2016 at 9:49 am

hi i was just admiring your desk. I was looking for an L shape desk where I’m able to do art and work on the computer. I had a question about your list. The godvin legs you said x6. where is the 6th?

72. Leah Remillet

October 25th, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I have the legs all positioned around the desk with one in joining corner of the L on the inside. I originally was going to bracket so it wasn’t needed (which we did bracket it to keep them tight together) but ended up having that leg for extra support. Hope that makes sense.

73. Siobhan

November 1st, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Hi 🙂
    LOVE it! Can you send me the extra pics too please?

Thanks 🙂

74. The “L Shape” Desk Hack from Ikea | Leah Remillét – Best Home Decorating Ideas

December 22nd, 2016 at 4:05 pm